Riley went to the Cardiologist today. He now weighs 9lbs. 10oz. I didn’t get his length. His BP was 115/65 in his right arm, and 105/59 in his right leg. His oxygen sat.’s were at 89%, and heart rate was 149. All of these numbers were good, except she wants him to get fatter.
Riley has added a new med. to the list. He is now taking Digoxin. I looked it up, and this is what it said. Digoxin helps the heart to beat more strongly and regularly. Digoxin is used to treat conditions such as congestive heart failure and atrial fibrillation/atrial flutter (types of fast heartbeats).
Dr. Szwast explained it as his heart is not squeezing hard enough at each beat. We are not sure of the length of time he will be on the new med., yet. It could be till after his surgeries or it could be forever. All depends on his heart.
We also discussed the Cardiac Cath. They should be calling me to schedule it in 2 wks. Dr. Rome will do the procedure. We are not sure, yet, if it will just be a diagnostic procedure or if they will attempt to open up the veins. All depends on what he sees when he gets in there. He will consult with Dr. Spray at that point, and decide if the veins need to be opened up, or if things can wait till his next surgery. They will also decide, at that point, when the next surgery should be. Dr. Szwast is thinking early September, but that could change after they do the Cath. Another wait and see.
So all in all it was an ok visit. I hate to add another med., because he already hates taking the ones he has, but we’ll do what we have to do. Next step, moving forward, will be the Cardiac Cath., and depending on what they decide to do will determine if it’s an outpatient procedure or if he will spend the night. I will update when I know when the Cath will be. Until then pray….pray…pray!!