Two days later we headed to CHOP for our second opinion. I had another ultrasound and echo. This was an all day process that ended with us meeting with a team of doctors. This team included an OB, Cardiologists, Surgeons, nurses, and some people that I wasnt quite sure who they were. Their findings were pretty much the same as the doctors at Virtua, but they had a plan of care. They also gave us a 75%, maybe even 80% survival rate. This % compared to Virtua’s made us feel like they may be some hope.
After meeting with Chop, I transferred all of my care there. I will continue the rest of my OB appts. there, where they will closely monitor me and the baby until delivery. I will deliver at University of Pennsylvania, and they will take Riley from there over to CHOP at their Cardiac NICU. It is going to be a very rough beginning. We are not even sure, exactly how thing are going to go. We do know, though, that he will need heart surgery within his first 5 days to put a shunt in. He may actually need heart surgery within the first 24 hrs., but we won’t know until after he is born. We also do not know if he will need surgery on his abdomen. If it is just reversed, he wont, but if his intenstines did not form properly, he will. If he does need the abdominal surgery, it will take place after he is stable from his heart shunt procedure. Also his CCam will need to be removed, but they believe, at this point, that it will stay small and will not need a seperate surgery. If this hold true, it will be removed during one of his other surgeries.
As you can see there are still alot of unanswered questions. All we can do at this point is pray for the best, and try to prepare for whats to come.